1. Bubbles will keep on being popular – I am hoping that Franciacorta will be making more of an appearance and holding its own against growers champagne, Prosecco and English sparkling wine.
5. Premium wines from California have also been tipped to be big this year. I hope this is the case as I have some very exciting wine trips planned there this year and I can’t wait to share my wine highlights with you.
6. A trend I really don’t want to catch on or come back; POKEMON SOMM. This was a thing in 2016 and there has been a sequel planned for 2017 where you can once again grab your Poke Riedel to try and find a Screagle or Mwouton Rothschild. No that is not a typo. As I said before – this trend can really just fizzle away.
7. Speaking of English wine, I think this market is only going to keep on expanding especially if Brexit has anything to do with it! Expect to see more styles of English wine making the headlines from aromatic whites to seductive Pinots.
8. Spanish whites – There is more to Spanish white wine than Albariño. There are predictions saying White Rioja and White Priorat will be making an impact on restaurant lists. I am hoping that the Godello grape, aromatic whites from the Somontano region and complex, full bodied Catalan white blends will also be tempting with your tapas!